About the role
We are currently seeking a qualified patent attorney, part-qualified patent attorney, or someone who is interested in commencing studies towards becoming a patent attorney to join our Chemistry Life Sciences team in Melbourne.
You will be working on challenging and complex cases for leading biotech companies and research organisations, in a supportive and collaborative work environment.
- a degree and PhD in biotechnology specialising in molecular and cell biology (biochemistry, microbiology, genetics, bioengineering, biotechnology), immunology, or a related field
- a strong analytical and problem-solving outlook
- exceptional scientific technical knowledge
- attention to detail
- outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- advanced computer skills and database researching skills
- business acumen and willingness to engage with existing and prospective clients
- industry experience where you have applied your knowledge of biotechnology will be highly regarded
Your key responsibilities (under supervision) will include:
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications in Australia and globally
- Providing commercial IP advice
- Patent portfolio management for local and international clients
- Presenting on IP topics internally and externally
- Participating in networking events, seminars and business development activities
Phillips Ormonde Fitzpatrick (POF) is a privately owned patent and trade mark attorney firm with offices in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide. Our Melbourne office is centrally located at 333 Collins Street. Our main business is in the procurement and defence of intellectual property rights including patents, trade marks and designs for our clients both domestically and internationally.
We operate at the forefront of innovation and technology, providing our people with opportunities to contribute to real and rewarding outcomes. Our client base is diverse and ranges from individual inventors through to leading multinational corporations.
We are committed to fostering a culture of engagement and collaboration, where our people feel supported and empowered in their roles.
Our inclusive culture enables us to perform at a high level, ensuring we can provide our clients with considered and innovative outcomes. POF was officially recognised as an Inclusive Employer 2021-22 by the Diversity Council of Australia.
About our workplace
On a day-to-day basis, we work with innovative clients to protect their ideas and inventions locally and internationally.
POF prides itself on valuing its people and the diversity and innovative thinking our people bring to our business. Our culture is built on principles of inclusion, respect and integrity. Our employees enjoy challenging work in a collegial team-based environment with a genuine work/life balance.
Apart from working in a supportive, inclusive and welcoming environment, POF employees enjoy access to a range of benefits and initiatives including:
- Gender-neutral paid parental carers leave
- Purchased annual leave
- Salary continuance
- Generous leave provisions (pandemic, vaccine, family violence paid leave)
- Flexible and hybrid working arrangements
- Health and wellbeing programs
- Reward and recognition program including discretionary bonuses
We encourage and welcome applications from people living with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, LGBTQIA+ people, all genders, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and mature age people.
Should you require any specific support or adjustments throughout the recruitment process and beyond, please let us know and we will be happy to assist.
How to Apply
Please apply here
Agencies, please note: All vacancies are managed by our People & Development team. Should external assistance be required we will reach out to our preferred Recruitment Agency providers.