Phillips Ormonde Fitzpatrick
Information we collect
We collect personal information that is required to conduct our business and to provide services to our clients. We will not ask for or collect personal information which we do not need for those purposes.
We may collect personal information such as names and addresses, employment information, membership of professional organisations and positions held, inventorship and ownership of intellectual property rights, expertise and interests and, where relevant, financial information and family details. If we collect sensitive or identifying information it is usually for the purpose of providing our intellectual property services.
Information collected via our websites
We collect any personal information which you provide to us through sending an email or filling in an on-line form. We also collect statistical information relating to the use of different parts of our websites, but this information does not identify particular users.
We use per-session cookies to monitor the use of some of the features on our website. This is for the purpose of monitoring transactions and maintaining security.
Supply of personal information
The personal information we collect may be supplied directly by the person to whom the information relates or by another person. Where the information is supplied by another person we will take it that the other person has the consent and authority of the person to whom the information relates to supply the information to us for use in any one of the ways specified.
Use of personal information
We may use the personal information we collect in the following ways:
- In any manner in which you have authorised or requested us to use the information
- To provide you with information about our services, unless you have requested us not to do so
- For internal research, planning security and testing purposes
- If we are required by law to disclose the information to another person
- To enable another person engaged by us or by you to provide goods or services to you
- To assist any complaints body to whom a complaint relating to your intellectually property rights is referred
- To satisfy the reasonable requirements of our financial auditors, quality auditors, and other professional advisers
Use of the personal information may involve transfer and collection of the information overseas.
Authority to use personal information
As part of our engagement to provide services you consent to us using the personal information supplied to us in any of the ways specified. Where that use involves transfer and collection of the information overseas you understand and accept that:
- Other countries may not have privacy laws as comprehensive as those in Australia
- An overseas recipient of the personal information may in turn transmit that information to another country in the course of providing goods or services to you
- We may not be able to control how overseas recipients will use, share and disclose the personal information
If you or the law requires us to do so we will seek additional consent or confirmation to collect such information.
Authority to disclose personal information
IP Australia and foreign IP offices are required by law to routinely publish information, including personal information, relating to IP rights. In addition, personal information relating to IP rights is regularly shared amongst IP offices. You consent to the publication and sharing of that personal information as part of the provision of our services.
Confidentiality and privilege
We comply with Australian privacy laws and principles including those contained in the Privacy Act 1988.
Registered patent and trade mark attorneys and legal practitioners are ethically bound to maintain confidentiality of client communications.
Further, communications between clients and registered patent and trade mark attorneys and legal practitioners are protected by privilege.
Accuracy of information
If you wish to request access to any personal information which we hold about you, or if you wish to be removed from our mailing lists, please contact us.
Please provide us with as much detail as possible about the information to which you request access, to assist us in identifying it.
Phillips Ormonde Fitzpatrick
367 Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000